Social Security (24 hrs. a day): 1-800-772-1213
- Social Security pays a one-time payment of $255.00 to a surviving spouse or dependent child. When a person who is receiving Social Security benefits dies, no benefit is payable for the month of death.
- Family members may be eligible for Social Security survivors’ benefits when a retired worker dies.
Department of Veteran’s Affairs:
- Headstone or marker
- $300.00 burial expense allowance (if qualified)
- $150.00 plot or interment allowance (if qualified)
- U.S. flag
- VA will pay a burial allowance up to $1500 if the veteran’s death is service connected.
- If a victim dies as a result of a crime, $3500 may be paid to
- Survivors for funeral expenses (if qualified).